Ten years ago Drake was just Tanner's dog. I had never really been attached to an animal/pet, but I knew that Tanner loved Drake very much. When we built our house 3 years ago Drake became more than just Tanner's dog. He became a huge part of our family and I fell in love with him. I have dressed him up as a reindeer, tortured him with the camera, and squirted him with the water hose until he was out of breath. He has escorted me to and from next door everytime I walked over. I will admit, Drake was a very stinky dog but I loved that stinky dog. I have been begging Tanner to help me give him a bath for forever, but never had any luck. He loved my cooking and I usually even fixed an extra plate just for him. He pretty much ate dinner with us every night because he would sit right outside the door by the table and watch us eat. Then, if we didn't feed him scraps he would bark until we did. This summer I decided that it was too hot for him and I got him a plastic pool. Everyday I filled it up three times a day no matter how hot it was or how big my very pregnant belly was. He would flop down when no one was looking and soak in the cool water. I loved watching him flop down in that pool!
Today when I came home I learned that I wouldn't get to see him flop in that pool anymore. No more feeding him scraps, no more walking me home from next door, and no more stinky Drake. Tanner had to take him to the Vet. for a cut that was bleeding very bad. After examining him, they told Tanner that his heart worms were so bad that he was in pain and suffering. Tanner had to put our sweet boy down. When he told me, my heart broke for Tanner and for sweet Drake. I never knew you could love and become so attached to an animal. So much reminds me of him around here. I have cried all night thinking about him and how MP will never get to play with him. I am very thankful to have been his "dog mommy" and our new family and house will never be the same.
We love you Drake and you will always be a part of this family.
No comments:
Post a Comment